The GREAT GLOBAL GREYHOUND WALK 2021 - a worldwide phenomenon with over 220 walks taking place in 15 countries, everyone walking at the same time on the same day. The theme this year is BLUE so get creative and dress you and your hound for the occasion! Come along for a fun walk with your local hounds and raise awareness for Greyhound adoption and our rehoming programme.
Greyhounds as Pets are organising walks throughout the country with the aim of beating 2019's tally of 514 NZ hounds. We may have fundraising activities at these events so please bring cash.
NOTE: We are taking registrations for GAP GGG walks now, you can register here Great Global Greyhound Walk 2021 Registration (wufoo.com) and you'll be counted in our numbers, whether you join a group (below) or walk solo under lockdown lvls 3 or 4 (you can register attendance and do a private walk between the hours of 10am and 11am on the day).
Your local Group walk event is:
Christchurch: Botanic Gardens carpark, off Armagh St
Nelson: Trafalgar Centre, 7 Paru Paru Road, Nelson
Taupo: The Scout Den carpark on Lake Terrace (entry is opposite the Mere Rd exit)
Wellington: Frank Kitts Park, Wellington Waterfront, meet near the playground
Horowhenua/Kapiti: Paraparaumu Beach (main carpark) – hosted by Kapiti Greyhound Friends
Palmerston North: The Esplanade (Park Road Entrance, Miniature Railway Carpark)
Napier: Clive Square Gardens
Gisborne: Watties Wharf, Reads Quay
New Plymouth: Pukekura Park (Sports Ground main entrance)
Hamilton: Innes Common Carpark off Lake Domain Dr
Tauranga: Mount Drury, Mt Maunganui (Ocean side)
Auckland: Please assume solo walks only for hounds in the Auckland region
Whangarei: Canopy Bridge, Whangarei Town Basin
Masterton: Henley Lake, Columbo Road entrance
Rotorua: The Redwoods, Whakarewarewa, Rotorua
Timaru: Caroline Bay, Meeting at the Virtue Ave End carpark
Paeroa: TBC for 2022 – independent host
Dunedin: Kensington Tavern, King Edward St – independent host (GAP hounds welcome)
Health & Safety: Our small but mighty community of hound lovers needs to stay safe during this group activity - and be seen to be socially responsible. The GGGW is all about drawing attention and being seen in your region - for these reasons we ask:
- That you wear a mask. Make it part of your BLUE costume/dress up, you need only wear it for the duration of the event, approximately one hour. (You can still register and choose a solo walk if you prefer not to wear a face covering in a group situation.)
- Contact tracing - your Event Coordinator will have a QR code to scan on arrival.
- Hand sanitizer will be available.
- We ask that you maintain government guidelines on social distancing for the duration of the event.
- Don’t forget the usual stuff – pick up your dog’s poo, all walks are on lead only, if your dog is new, nervous or reactive please use a muzzle, be considerate of other walkers.
Fun Stuff: BLUE! BLUE! BLUE! – that’s the theme for 2021 so don your thinking caps and strut your blue stuff on the day! You can team up with others or make your own original outfit, anything goes! Make sure you post a pic on your regional Facebook page on the day as we’ll have spot prizes for entries.